[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Ingesting Iodine Dangerous as KI Substitute...
In a future nuclear emergency here many civilians, without KI tablets,
could poison themselves or their children by ingesting iodine products
mistakenly thinking they were protecting themselves. This dangerous myth
needs to be exposed far & wide by the Health Physicist community to avert
potential future tragedies.
Since 1999 we've had the following posted at www.ki4u.com under the
section: "Is Iodized Salt, Tincture of Iodine, Water Purification Tabs, or
other Iodine Sources Effective?" (Also included there is the research by
Health Physicist Ken Miller into safely utilizing topically applied
tincture of Iodine.)
Regarding ingesting (drinking/swallowing) iodine, iodine tablets (widely
sold for water purification), tincture of iodine, or Povidone-iodine
solutions (like the Betadine® brand solution): Cresson H. Kearny, the
author of Nuclear War Survival Skills, Original Edition Published
September, 1979, by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a Facility of the U.S.
Department of Energy (Updated and Expanded 1987 Edition) states on page 115:
Elemental (free) iodine is poisonous, except in the very small amounts in
water disinfected with iodine tablets or a few drops of tincture of iodine.
Furthermore, elemental iodine supplied by iodine tablets and released by
tincture of iodine dropped into water is not effective as a blocking agent
to prevent thyroid damage. If you do not have any potassium iodide, DO NOT
TAKE IODINE TABLETS OR TINCTURE OF IODINE.
Additionally, USP tincture of iodine contains 2% iodine and 2.4% sodium
iodide dissolved in 50% ethyl alcohol and according to the National Academy
of Sciences in Drinking Water and Health. Vol. 3. Washington, DC, National
Academy Press, 1980.
Doses of 30-250 ml of tincture of iodine (about 16-130 mg of total iodine
per kg of body weight) have been reported to be fatal.
The small typical one ounce bottle of tincture of iodine contains about one
tablespoon or approximately 30 ml of fluid. (The larger pint bottles
contain 473 ml.) To a small child, ingesting the small 1 ounce bottle, even
if well diluted to make it palatable, could prove fatal.
Everyone needs to understand that all 'tincture of iodine' bottles are
clearly marked "POISON" for a very good reason. Ingesting elemental free
iodine, such as 'tincture of iodine', in quantities sufficient to attempt
thyroid-blocking in a nuclear emergency is not a safe, nor an effective,
Finally, if someone does attempt thyroid-blocking for themselves or their
children by ingesting iodine, iodine water purification tablets, tincture
of iodine, or Povidone-iodine solutions (like the Betadine® brand
solution), and we are strongly advising against it, they can look forward to:
· shock (potentially fatal lowering of blood pressure)
· extreme thirst
· metallic taste
· sore teeth, gums and mouth
· severe headache
· no urine output (kidney failure)
· corrosive effects on the gastrointestinal tract
· esophageal stricture, asphyxiation (swelling of the throat, esophagus)
· abdominal pain with internal damage
Then, be prepared to call the Poison Control center for further guidance.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Give milk, cornstarch, or flour by mouth (15 gm in
500 ml, or just over a pint of water). Continue to give milk every 15 minutes.
And, at the Emergency Room expect some or all of the following procedures
to be performed: Gastric lavage (depending on the extent of esophageal
injury), establish and maintain airway, be given milk every 15 minutes, and
treatment for the symptoms.
212 Oil Patch Lane
Gonzales, TX 78629
You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe,
send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe
radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line.
You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/