From: Rogers Brent [mailto:rogersb@epa.nsw.gov.au]
Sent: 09 April 2003 05:32
To: 'Ivor Surveyor'; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: RE: Subject: RE: Bq soon [Scanned]

A question for the pro-SI crowd.  How do you reconcile using a standard ion chamber type radiation detector that reads out in microSv / hr, and recording that reading as the exposure level?  (I hope your answer doesn’t include a discussion of quality factors.  Regardless of what you may know about beta & gamma radiation, the meter ain’t displaying microSv / hr)

I think this is my main discomfort with using SI units in that there is no useful conversion for Roentgens.  If you are TRULY a proponent of SI, you should have a meter that reads out in Coulombs / kg-hr (or metric subunits thereof), and then try to work with that unwieldy number.  Or else only use tissue equivalent meters.

-Brent Rogers

P.S.  How many of you express your weight in Newtons?