Re: New Scientist Reports on DU and Iraq

In a message dated 4/17/03 10:35:12 AM Mountain Daylight Time, fd003f0606@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

). People's fears that DU leaves a deadly legacy must be
addressed, says UNEP. Some scientists go further. Evidence is emerging that
DU affects our bodies in ways we do not fully understand, they say, and the
legacy could be real.

DU is both radioactive and toxic. Past studies of DU in the environment have
concluded that neither of these effects poses a significant risk. But some
researchers are beginning to suspect that in combination, the two effects
could do significant harm. Nobody has taken a hard look at the combined
effect of both, says Alexandra Miller, a radiobiologist with the Armed
Forces Radiobiology Research Institute in Bethesda, Maryland. "The bottom
line is it might contribute to the risk."

Oh for heaven's sake!  That's carrying synergy beyond any reasonable limit./  Maybe the magazine should be re-titled "new pseudo-scientist."

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com