How Changes in U.S. Census Counts Af fect NCI Cancer Rates [Annual SEER's Update]

I received this through another list server, and

thought it would be of interest so some on this list.

. . .

> The following NCI Fact Sheet was provided on the

> National Institutes of Health's NCI Web site:

>   NOTE:Inaccurate census data can be a confounder

> 	in radioepidemiology studies and disease

> 	incidence calculations.

-----------------------

NCI FACT SHEET: How Changes in U.S. Census Counts

Affect NCI Cancer Rates

Posted Date:

Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Print Version

Key Points

    • Because NCI cancer rates are calculated by

dividing the number of cancer cases (numerator) by a

census-generated denominator, the rates can be heavily

influenced by changes or uncertainties in census

counts. (Question 1)

    • Revisions to population estimates will affect

the denominator in all SEER cancer rate calculations

for 1990-2000. (Question 3)

    • Because calculations are based on 2000 Census

counts, the majority of rates will have a greater

degree of certainty, not less. The potential for

variability or uncertainty will be greatest for the

smallest population groups -- particularly specific

race or age groups and county-level residents.

(Question 4)

    • Even with updated census figures, overall cancer

rates for major cancers will not change significantly.

(Question 6)

The National Cancer Institute (NCI) today released its

annual update of national cancer rates on its Web

site, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2000/index.html.

The Cancer Statistics Review includes incidence,

mortality, and survival rates for all cancers for the

period 1975-2000 using new population estimates from

the U.S. Census Bureau. These data are also used to

track cancer trends over time.

1. How does NCI use census data to calculate cancer

rates?

NCI's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results

(SEER) Program calculates cancer rates using

incidence, survival, and mortality data gathered

through two sources: incidence data from SEER, and

death data from the National Center for Health

Statistics (NCHS).

To determine a cancer rate, NCI divides the number of

cancer cases or deaths in a given geographic area

(numerator), by the total number of people in that

area as reported by the Census Bureau (denominator).

The resulting cancer rate is the proportion of people

in that area affected by cancer. Because SEER rates

are calculated by dividing the numerator by the

census-generated denominator, the rates can be heavily

influenced by changes or uncertainties in census

counts.

2. How often does the Census Bureau update and revise

population estimates?

The Census Bureau routinely updates and revises

population estimates every year. The bureau calculates

'intercensal' estimates after a new census is

completed -- for example, using information from both

the 1990 and 2000 Censuses, the bureau obtains better

estimates for the 1990s. These revisions are based on

the most recent census information and on the best

available demographic data reflecting components of

population change (namely, births, deaths, net

internal migration, and net international

immigration). Recalculating disease rates to reflect

updated population estimates is standard practice.

3. How did the Census Bureau's procedures change in

2000?

In the 1990 Census, respondents were asked to "select

one" racial classification (White, Black, Asian or

Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaska Native.).

The 2000 Census asked respondents to "select one or

more" race groups and separated the Native Hawaiian

and other Pacific Islanders group from the Asian

group, resulting in a total of 31 different

classifications. For agencies such as the NCI and NCHS

to continue reporting long-term trends in disease

rates for single-race groups, a method is needed to

"bridge" these multi-race classifications into a

single race category. Such a method was developed by

the NCHS using information collected as part of their

National Health Interview Surveys. In collaboration

with NCHS, the Census Bureau produced a set of year

2000 population estimates that assigned everyone to

one race group only. The resulting 2000 estimates were

then used to produce an improved set of 1990-2000

population estimates. NCI and NCHS are making these

bridged population estimates available on their

respective Web sites. These revisions to the

population estimates will affect the denominator in

all SEER cancer rate calculations for 1990-2000.

The Census Bureau has other studies and research in

progress and expects to make final intercensal bridged

estimates available sometime in 2004.

4. Is there still uncertainty in the cancer rates and

if so, where?

Although efforts were made to use the best available

data and methods to produce the bridged estimates, the

calculations themselves could introduce a small amount

of uncertainty. However, because these calculations

are based on 2000 Census counts, the majority of rates

will have a greater degree of certainty, not less. The

potential for variability or uncertainty will be

greatest for the smallest population groups --

particularly specific race or age groups and

county-level residents.

In less populated areas such as rural counties, or in

adjacent urban and suburban areas where there was

substantial migration of residents, a change in the

denominator can affect the county rate by as much as

20 percent -- unlike large counties, where a small

change in a large denominator will not affect rates

nearly as much.

If a new census population estimate is larger than an

earlier one and the number of cancer cases remains the

same, the new rate will be smaller. Similarly, the

rate will increase if the census population decreases.

5. Can you give a specific example of an area where

rates will be affected by Census 2000?

Projecting population shifts in specific geographic

areas is one of the greatest sources of uncertainty in

trying to produce accurate census counts. For example,

the population counts for Blacks in the Atlanta

metropolitan area are higher than previously estimated

due to suburban migration that the Census Bureau had

not fully captured during the 1990s (before the 2000

Census information became available). This means that

cancer rates are actually lower for Blacks in

metropolitan Atlanta than originally calculated by

SEER's use of the Census Bureau's earlier population

estimates. In general, differences between projected

populations and actual census counts are more likely

to occur in small areas such as counties and

metropolitan areas than in entire states or regions of

the country.

It is important to note that these population changes

will not affect actual counts in the number of cancer

cases or deaths, just the cancer rates calculated for

these populations. Furthermore, interpreting these new

cancer rates fully will take time since there are many

ways in which population changes have occurred.

6. Will these updated census counts significantly

affect cancer rates?

No. Even with updated census figures, overall cancer

rates for major cancers will not change significantly.

Some rates for less common cancers, cancers in

minority populations, smaller geographic areas (such

as counties), or specific age groups may be affected.

For instance, updates to American Indian and Hispanic

populations will result in slight increases in their

cancer rates. Although it is too soon to tell the

extent to which these rates may change reported cancer

rates, overall changes are relatively small -- for

example, 1 percent or 2 percent.

7. Are there other factors that could cause cancer

statistics to be adjusted?

Normal reporting delays (how long it takes to collect

statistics on new cases of cancer from SEER regional

offices) and other adjustments, such as more

information on race, ethnicity, or tumor

characteristics, could affect cancer statistics. A

study of these factors by NCI researchers was reported

in the Oct. 16, 2002 issue of the Journal of the

National Cancer Institute (volume 94, pages

1537-1545). This study focused on areas where quicker

accumulation of regional cancer statistics could give

NCI more reliable numbers for the most recent rates.

The best estimate of rectification of reporting delays

and corrections to the most recent year of incidence

data would be a change in existing rates by about 3

percent to 6 percent.

8. Does the 1975-2000 SEER Cancer Statistics Review

reflect corrections to statistics that have been wrong

for many years?

No. NCI is making small adjustments (about 1 percent

to 3 percent) to some cancer statistics, and larger

adjustments to statistics in certain areas of the

country and to selected cancers. NCI statistical

reports from previous years have been the best rates

that could be calculated given the data that were

available at those times. Adjustments currently taking

place primarily relate to rates in minorities based on

the new categories, to improved completeness and

coverage of cancer statistics in certain geographic

areas, or to population updates based on the recent

2000 Census. Overall, however, the trends and rates

reported annually by NCI and its partners will not

change substantially.

9. Where can I learn more about bridging and get other

information about NCI cancer statistics?

For more information on bridged population estimates,

please go to

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/dvs/popbridge/popbridge.htm

.

For complete information on cancer statistics, please

go to NCI's "Finding Cancer Statistics" Web site at

http://surveillance.cancer.gov/statistics/.

For additional information on bridging and other

modifications to NCI population estimates, please go

http://seer.cancer.gov/popdata/.

=====

-- John

John Jacobus, MS