Re: Question on Properties of Aluminum at Research Reactor

Paul

My guess is that the Pu-212, Pb-214 and Bi-214 are radon progeny that plated

out from the decay in the water. The Co-60 and Eu-152 could be formed from

neutron capture of trace amounts of cobalt and europium in the water. Co-59

(100% of stable cobalt) and Eu-151 (~50% of stable) europium. This can be

checked by looking for Eu-154. The ration of the capture cross section of

Eu-151/Eu-153 is 5900/320 so the Eu-154 "abundance" will be 320/5900 times

that of Eu-152.

John

John R Johnson, PhD

idias@interchange.ubc.ca