RE: Bismuth breaks half-life record

Is it possible that every isotope is radioactive but that decay is so infrequent as to be immeasurable??

-----Original Message-----

From: Jerry Cohen [mailto:jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET]

Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 11:26 AM

To: John Jacobus; radsafe

Subject: Re: Bismuth breaks half-life record

It is hard for me to conceive of anything with a half-life of ~10^19 years

as "radioactive". Given enough time, all matter will eventually decay, since

the proton itself is reputed to decay with have a half-life of  ~10^31yr.

Therefore, in a sense,  everything could be considered "radioactive" (i.e.

no such thing as a stable element). It is also hard to understand the

special dread of long-lived radionuclides given that the longer the

half-life, the less radioactive anything is.

    To avoid such perceptions, in a paper we gave about 20 years ago, we

proposed the  radioactive designation be limited to those nuclides with

half-lives less than one million years. Those with half-lives between a

million and a trillion years would be "radiopassive", and those with a

half-life exceeding a trillion years would be designated "radioquiscent".

Somehow, the idea never caught on.