RE: Bismuth breaks half-life record

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Franta, Jaroslav wrote:

> Protons shmotons.

> What I would like to know is why the damned NEUTRONS stay put while confined

> in an atomic nucleus or a neutron star, but as soon as they get free, they

> fall to pieces in a few minutes !

	--Take the simplest situation, the deuteron, a neutron and a

proton bound together. If the neutron decayed into a proton, the total

energy of the system would be increased. Where would this energy come

from? An isolated system cannot "decay" from a lower energy state to a

higher energy state. Decay is a process in which the energy of the system

is reduced.

	This reasoning applies to all nuclei which contain neutrons.