From: William V Lipton [mailto:liptonw@dteenergy.com]
Sent: Monday April 28, 2003 10:12 AM
To: Franta, Jaroslav
Cc: Radsafe (E-mail); multiple (E-mail); Ans-pie (E-mail)
Subject: Re: NG blast (again)

I hope that your whining does not represent the consensus of the nuclear industry; and that most of us have learned, by now, that comparative body counts will NOT win public acceptance.

Tokaimura is being shut down, not because they killed "only" two persons, but because their repeated gross  violations of basic safety procedures caused the loss of public acceptance.

We should be demonstrating that we meet the highest standards, not whining for the right to be as careless as someone else.

Our critics make us stronger.

Our "friends" will put us out of business.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Franta, Jaroslav" wrote:

Just last week there was another news report about the Tokaimura criticality accident.
Last Friday's NG blast in Toronto killed more than three times as many people, but I doubt you'll hear about it four years later, or that there will be any impact on the Canadian (or any other) NG industry....

WNA News Briefing 03.16 (for the period 16 - 22 April 2003)
[NB03.16-5] Japan: JCO Co has abandoned plans to restart its uranium conversion facility in Tokaimura, the site of a criticality accident in September 1999. The move follows the recent court ruling that found the company and six of its employees guilty of neglect that led to the death of two of its workers. The company - a subsidiary of Sumitomo Metal Mining Co - had been trying to gain regulatory approval to reopen its fuel processing facility since being stripped of its licence to operate the plant in March 2000. (Ux Weekly, 21 April, p4; also News Briefing 03.09-3)

Jaro