Re: What excuse next for no pay (found this in the archives)

This is a post: Response to Cohen's $2500 Offer, found in the

Archives, http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/9701/msg00465.html

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:42:28 -0500 (EST), quoting Bernie, Jim

Muckerheide and Ron Kathren. Bernie's quote is from an earlier

period, but I donb't have that actual date.

"My offer of $1000 awards for help on the following matter did not

prove fruitful, so I am raising the award to $2500 and will try to

explain in more detail what I am seeking . In the February 1995 issue

of HEALTH PHYSICS (vol.69, pp157-174), I published a paper entitled

Test of the Linear - No Threshold (LNT) Theory of Radiation

Carcinogenesis.....    in which I reported that lung cancer mortality

rates for U.S. Counties, with or without correction for smoking

prevalence, decreases rapidly (about -8% per pCi/L) as average radon

exposure increases. This represents a very large discrepancy (20

standard deviations!!) with the prediction of LNT theory that lung

cancer rates should increase rapidly (about +7% per pCi/L) with

increasing average radon exposure . My problem is in understanding

this discrepancy. I have examined the effects of over 60 confounding

factors, and have done many other tests, but this work has done

little to explain our discrepancy. I have gone through the literature

on Recological studiesS and can easily show how the results of any

other published ecological study can be erroneous, but I cannot

figure out how one can avoid concluding from our data that LNT theory

fails in this low dose region where it has never been tested. What I

need very badly is suggestions for not implausible specific potential

explanations for our discrepancy, in at least semi-quantitative

numerical terms, on which I can carry out calculations to determine

if they can resolve it, or can be modified to resolve it. As a

possible example, one might suggest that urban people smoke more

frequently and for unrelated reasons have lower radon exposures than

rural people, both of which are true. What I need is data for each of

our 1601 counties on which to do calculations to see if they resolve

our discrepancy. You can make-up the data, as long as you consider

them to be not implausible. Since I need these made-up data for each

of the 1601 counties, it might be most practical to give me a

prescription for deriving these data. For example you might say that

the radon exposure for a rural person is x% higher than for an urban

person and an urban person is y% more likely to smoke than a rural

person. Since I know the average radon level in each county, the

fraction of people in each county who are urban and rural and the

fraction that smoke, I can then determine the predicted lung cancer

rate in each county from BEIR-IV for various values of x and y, and

make comparisons with the data.  The only problem with this example

is that I reported calculations based on it in Section L of my paper

and it did very little to reduce our discrepancy. But you might not

agree on how I did the calculation and suggest an alternative method,

or you can suggest some alternative prescription for making up the

data, perhaps utilizing random numbers or anything else you can think

of that will allow me to do calculations. Or you can just present me

with tables of numbers that you consider to be not implausible. I

offer a $2500 award to anyone who submits a suggestion that, after a

detailed evaluation, leads to a not-implausible explanation of our

discrepancy. I can give up to three such awards. If the submitter and

I do not agree on plausibility, I would be happy to accept the public

judgement of any prominent radiation health scientist suggested by

the submitter (letUs define prominent as 10 papers in HEALTH PHYSICS

or equivalent journals over the past 10 years). I would hope to

publish a paper on this with the submitter and judge as coauthors,

but in any case, the $2500 award will be paid promptly. Of course the

urban-rural effect discussed above was meant only as an example; any

other ideas would be equally acceptable. Alternative suggestions for

implementing my offer would be most welcome. I really need help on

this problem. If anyone would like a copy of our data file, I would

be happy to provide it."

Bernard L. Cohen

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/