Re: atmospheric dispersion/dilution.......question

Hi:

I would suggest that increasing dilution flow volume increases the stack plume

exit velocity which does potentially change the effective stack height, not the

effective wind speed. If in your dispersion model, you are able to take credit

for the plume being able to break through the envelope around a building [ie: no

building wake effect applied to the release] then there will be somewhat greater

dilution before the plume would touch down and you would see greater Chi/Q

dilution factors. However, if your model does not allow you to take credit for an

elevated release when the stack gas exit velocity to mean wind speed ratio

exceeds some value [often the case for short stacks on buildings], then there is

likely no credit for an elevated release and you get no credit for the plume

behaving as an elevated release in the cases of lower wind speeds, before plume

touchdown would occur.

Stewart Farber