Epi studies

Dr. Kenneth J. Rothman ( Modern Epidemiology; Little, Brown & Co.,

Boston, 1986) classifies epidemiologic studies as experimental or

nonexperimental.  Experimental sudies include clinical trials, field

trials and community intervention trials.  Nonexperimental studies

include follow-up or prospective cohort studies, case-control studies

and ecologic studies.  Experimental studies are able to demonstrate

cause-effect or dose-response relationships better than non-experimental

ones.  Of the non-experimental type, cohort studies are best able to

suggest (not prove) a dose-response effect, and ecological studies are

the least able.

With due respect to Dr. Cohen, I don't understand how one can test the

LNT without making some estimate of risk to individuals, something that

ecologic studies are pretty much incapable of.

Tony Harrison, MSPH

Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment

Laboratory and Radiation Services Division

(303)692-3046

tony.harrison@state.co.us