Re: Confounders and Coincidences

May 5, 2003

Davis, CA

Sure, in its broadest sense epidemiology is the study of diseases and that

applies to all kinds of studies including ecological studies. When I used

the term epidemiology I was thinking about the usual statistically

meaningful studies using standard biostatistical techniques such as

case-control and cohort studies. In these studies unknown confounders are

considered by proper control selection procedures and sufficient sample

sizes. In ecological studies there are no rigorous control selection

procedures since we don't know who is exposed to what.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140