[Fwd: Re: You can't have too much NVLAP.]

The following is posted with the permission of the author.

-------- Original Message --------

From: James Blute <James.Blute@aeat-qsa.com>

Subject: Re: You can't have too much NVLAP.

To: liptonw@dteenergy.com

Mr. Lipton,

Although I don't know all the ins and outs of this proposal, I tend to

agree with your position - mainly for the following reason...

"Secondary" dosimetry is usually not required to be in compliance but

is often placed on workers to back up primary dosimetry and get more

info.  If NVLAP is required, then secondary dosimetry will be used less

often and more sparingly due to the increased cost and availability of

NVLAP dosimetry and the decreased usability of non-NVLAP dose info.  The

end result - in my opinion - will be workers with less dosimetry - and

thus - less information for dose reconstruction about an event if

something goes wrong.

I for one would prefer additional info that is questionable (more

difficult to defend than NVLAP dosimetry) over no additional data.

I am having trouble posting to RADSAFE right now so if you get this

maybe you can post it for me.

Jim Blute, CHP

>>> William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> 05/05/03 12:53PM >>>

I recommend that Radsafer's review today's (May 5, 2003) Federal

Register Notice, "Sander C. Perle, ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service,

Receipt of Petition for Rulemaking".

Sandy's intent seems to be to revise 10 CFR 20.1501(c) to:  (1) remove

the current exemption from NVLAP accreditation requirements for

extemity

dosimetry, and (2) require NVLAP accreditation of electronic

dosimeters.

While some of these proposed requirements may be worthwhile, I am

concerned about the wording of the proposed new 20.1501(c):  "All

personnel dosimeters used to determine the radiation dose and that are

used by licensees to comply with 10 CFR 20.1201, with other applicable

provisions of this chapter, or with conditions specified in a license

must be processed and/or evaluated by a dosimetery processor - (1)

Holding current personnel dosimetry accreditation from the ...

NVLAP..."  As written this seems to apply to electronic dosimetry that

is used as secondary dosimetry, since:  (1) this secondary dosimetry

may

be used for the dose of record in the event that primary dosimetry is

lost or unreadable, (2) this secondary dosimetry is used to support

the

ALARA provisions of 10 CFR 20, and, for power reactors, electronic

dosimeters may be used to fulfill the high radiation areas < 1000

mrem/hr entry provisions in our licenses.

I think that, if this petition is accepted, the language in the

resulting rulemaking should be clarified to limit its applicability to

primary personnel dosimetry.  Dosimetry that is used as secondary

dosimetry and that is used as the dose of record only on a contingency

basis should be specifically excluded from this requirement.  In

addition, I do not see the need for this to apply to extremity

dosimetry.

Perhaps, a dialogue on Radsafe could help resolve potential concerns

among licensees.

I also want to emphasize that, even though ICN may significantly

benefit

from such rulemaking, I am NOT implying any ulterior motives for this

petition.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.

This transmission contains information which may be confidential and

which may also be privileged. It is intended for the named addressee

only. Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it

on behalf of the addressee you may not copy or use it, or disclose it

to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please

contact the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

For more information about AEA Technology QSA, Inc. please visit

our website at http://www.aeat-qsa.com