RE: [Fwd: Re: You can't have too much NVLAP.]

As a regulator, anything used as a primary means to determine exposure must

have a means of verification.  Calibration is one method the other is

processing by an accredited lab.  Self reading dosimeters, film badges, ion

chambers etc. all have their inherent limitations in use, but they should

not be unreliable due to their operation or performance.  That's one reason

why ANSI/NVLAP exists.  Any other secondary means or method to used to

determine exposure is exactly that, secondary and they have their place in

the scheme of things.  A secondary method should be used when primary

methods fail or if the primary is shown to be inadequate under the

circumstances under investigation and the secondary justified as a better

measurement.

At the same time, if someone is using an EPD as the primary means to report

permanent exposure results, why wouldn't you be calibrating/processing it?

Cost alone, doesn't appear to be an adequate justification.  If you aren't,

how do you know that the result it gives you means anything at all and why

should I as a regulator accept the value when better methods of

determination exist?

As an individual with no endorsement of my employer......

The opinions expressed are mine all mine...

I'm with the government, I'm here to help

Daren Perrero

perrero@idns.state.il.us