Re: You can't have too much NVLAP.

This was posted on Powernet by Mike Lantz:.

My argument has not changed one iota since I first said it in 1995.

ED's are processed dosimeters.  They are processed live time.  A

night shift technician can change the parameters that are used to

"process" the count rate into dose rate which is converted to dose.

An access control software can accidentally modify the parameters

that process the dose conversion.  They are tiny "microprocessors"

without day to day QC.

When I presented an HPS Summer School topic on the use of ED's for

primary dosimetry ........ to mostly non-nuclear folks...... there

was no bias, no preconceived need for ED use.  They had no problem

understanding that the ED's are not as mature as the TLDs for primary

dosimetry and it was a simple discussion.  Accredit ED's or don't

utilize them as primary.

The "decision" to find that ED's do not require NVLAP accreditation

for primary dosimetry was premature and mistaken.  I had hoped after

eight years that it could be corrected.  Thank you Sandy.  And Bill,

thank you for all your thoughts too.

Mike Lantz

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/