Re: Confounders and Coincidences

This is a good one.  I suggest contaction the Dept of Energy low dose evaluation program.  The federal governemtn is ALWAYS looking for ways to fund new research efforts (or keep the current directions going.)  And you get risk values of 10^-4 or less, I am sure EPA would be interested.

Jerry Cohen <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:
Otto, Bernie, et al,
Caution should be exercised in investigating the former confederate states
as a confounding factor in radon/smoking/cancer relationships.
Too much science can boggle the mind.
For example, as a service to humanity, I looked into the cancer death rates
in
states beginning with vowels (e.g. Alabama, Ohio, Iowa, Utah, etc.) and
found
the rate in these states is ~5.4 % below the national average. I don't yet
know
the significance of this, but I plan to seek funding for a follow-up study.
If
this research pans out, those states starting with consonants might possibly
change their names in order to reduce their cancer rates.
. . .

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist