Re: the health physics profession

Lawyers are almost universally regarded as members of a profession, but whether they

contribute to the public good is certainly dependent on the individual specimen.  :)

Dictionary.com gives the following definition for "profession"

> An occupation or career.

> An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.

So, there is no doubt that Health Physics is a profession.  The really issue here is

should there be an aggressive effort to eliminate competition from uncertified /

unlicensed physicists.  My own opinion is that a rgorous examination process is the best

way to deal with the issue.  Economics (the $6k fine) should do the rest.

-Gary Isenhower