Re: the health physics profession

You're right; I don't know of any CHP's who are competent in all aspects of

health physics.  However, one of the requirements for becoming a CHP (in

addition to the exam) is to subscribe to the "Standards of Professional

Responsibility for CHPs."  This includes the requirement that, "The CHP shall

practice only in areas of his/her expertise."

As part (not the only part) of my program to assure personal compliance:  (1)

When I make general comments on Radsafe or similar forums, I do not represent

myself as a diplomate.  I only use the CHP designation when I am willing to put

my professional reputation on the line.  (2) I avoid providing advice that would

facilitate an individual in fulfilling hp responsibilities for which he/she is

not qualified.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton