Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITALINMICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

Yes, I read it my topic was addressed to the following expression

"(A millirem is a standard measure of radiation dose), which exceeds the NRC

limit of 100 millirem per year. Other members of the family may have

received significantly lower doses."

What is the meaning of the "significantly lower doses" in this case?

a) bellow than 1 mSv?

b) bellow than 5 mSv?

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel

INMICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

> According to the  Notice of Violation, the dose received by the visitor

was 3 -

> 15 rem.

> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.

> It's not about dose, it's about trust.

> Curies forever.

> Bill Lipton

> liptonw@dteenergy.com

> Jose Julio Rozental wrote:

> > The IAEA BSS 115 states: Dose limitation for comforters and visitors of

> > patients (BBS page 93)

> > II-9. The dose limits set out in this part shall not apply to comforters

of

> > patients,

> > i.e., to individuals knowingly exposed while voluntarily helping (other

than

> > in

> > their employment or occupation) in the care, support and comfort of

patients

> > undergoing medical diagnosis or treatment, or to visitors of such

patients.

> > However,

> > the dose of any such comforter or visitor of patients shall be

constrained

> > so that

> > it is unlikely that his or her dose will exceed 5 mSv during the period

of a

> > patient's

> > diagnostic examination or treatment. The dose to children visiting

patients

> > who

> > have ingested radioactive materials should be similarly constrained to

less

> > than

> > 1 mSv.

> > I do believe the USA has similar 10 CFR 20, §20.1301

> > (c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a licensee may

permit

> > visitors to an individual who cannot be released, under § 35.75, to

receive

> > a radiation dose greater than 0.1 rem (1 mSv) if-

> > (1) The radiation dose received does not exceed 0.5 rem (5 mSv); and

> > (2) The authorized user, as defined in 10 CFR Part 35, has determined

before

--

> > ------------------------

incident. I

> > > was surprised at the 3-15 rem dose level and could not understand how

that

> > > could happen but then when I found out the adminstered activity was

285

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/enforcement/actions/materials/

> > > ea02248.html

> > > The interesting paragraphs are below. And yes, I think the RSO's feet

> > should

> > > be held to the fire. I don't think the NRC's expectations are

> > unreasonable.

> > > Hobie Shackford

> > > Roger Williams Medical Center

> > > Providence, RI

> > radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.