Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITAL INMICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

The IAEA BSS 115 states: Dose limitation for comforters and visitors of

patients (BBS page 93)

II-9. The dose limits set out in this part shall not apply to comforters of

patients,

i.e., to individuals knowingly exposed while voluntarily helping (other than

in

their employment or occupation) in the care, support and comfort of patients

undergoing medical diagnosis or treatment, or to visitors of such patients.

However,

the dose of any such comforter or visitor of patients shall be constrained

so that

it is unlikely that his or her dose will exceed 5 mSv during the period of a

patient's

diagnostic examination or treatment. The dose to children visiting patients

who

have ingested radioactive materials should be similarly constrained to less

than

1 mSv.

I do believe the USA has similar 10 CFR 20, §20.1301

(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a licensee may permit

visitors to an individual who cannot be released, under § 35.75, to receive

a radiation dose greater than 0.1 rem (1 mSv) if-

(1) The radiation dose received does not exceed 0.5 rem (5 mSv); and

(2) The authorized user, as defined in 10 CFR Part 35, has determined before

the visit that it is appropriate.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel