FW: Public radio call-in show on DU

Ruth,

THANK YOU for making this effort.  I believe strongly in your point that we

all should speak up when radiation issues are being put before the public.

Poorly informed and biased opinions seem to dominate the media.

For example, two days ago CBS posted a story about nuclear weapons which

included the statement "It seems likely that even small doses of radiation

do some harm."  At the bottom of the story was a link inviting reader

out that radiation at low levels is not known to cause harm, in fact a lot

of evidence indicates the opposite, and that putting this statement in their

story is harmful in that it may cause their readers to make poor health

decisions, such as refusing medical diagnostic or therapeutic radiation.  So

far I have had no response.

Its not hopeless though.  Last night we had a high school guest for dinner

who was explaining her vegetarian diet and nutrition ideas, including the

importance of high potassium foods like bananas.  I told here she was

getting more radioactivity than some of her friends.  Her response:

"Potassium is radioactive?...COOL!"

Cheers,

Patrick.

P.S. The CBS story is at the URL