Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITAL INMICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

On 15 May 2003 at 15:51, Steve Jones wrote:

> It is unfortunate that NRC inspectors are

> apparently not given the same latitude to use their judgement

> when making such decisions.  This was a case that clearly

> should have been handled differently and with more

> compassion by the NRC, in my opinion.

Let's just say that we'll agree to disagree as to how the NRC should have handled

this. Coming from 4 years as a state regulator and 22 years as a power reactor

physicist, I was brought up to follow regulations with "verbatim compliance." The

regulations and technical specifications we had to work by were very precise. They

were written with much thought and reasoning. It was not for us to determine

whether or not we would simply ignore a regulation based on our own interpretation

or what seemed to be very good logic. The regulations are what they are, until they

are revised or eliminated.

Let me also agree that the dose to the relative was not putting the individual at risk.

In fact, they could have received much more radiation, and still not have been

harmed. But that isn't the issue, and, the NRC and any other regulatory agency,

would have handled this situation the same way. There are regulations. Part 35

covers this specifically, and more liberally when it comes to public dose limits. If the

family were to be treated as a member of the general public, Part 20, they would

have exceeded the 0.100 rem annual dose limit, and not the 0.500 rem limit.

Your premise is that the NRC could have used some discretion in this case. I submit

that they did in fact use a lot of discretion, only fining the licensee the $6,000

proposed fine. I have seen much higher fines for a lot less of a dose, and or violation

of the regulations.

Compassion is also not a causative agent for simply violating the regulations. I also

believe that many are interpretating what this case was all about. I've read where the

patient was dying, and the family had to be there. I'm not sure that is the case. If the

patient was in fact dying, I'm not sure what the purpose of the administration was

even ordered. In any event, the patient could have always gone home, and, let the

family get the dose they wanted to accept. But as long as the patient was

administered a dose in their facility, under a license issued by the NRC, they have an

obligation to follow the letter of the law. Interpretative regulations can never be

allowed, where they become interactive, following what you want and ignoring what

you don't agree with. That can never be allowed to occur. Compassion ,,, discretion ..

in the end, I believe that is exactly what we see here. $6,000 to me is a lot of

compassion and discretion.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel: (714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax: (714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/