RE: Time out

On Thu, 15 May 2003, John Jacobus wrote:

> Dr. Cohen,

> What was it?

	--The following is quoted from my original 1996 offer:

 What I need very badly is suggestions for "not implausible"

specific potential explanations for our discrepancy, in at least

semi-quantitative numerical terms, on which I can carry out calculations

to determine if they can resolve it, or can be modified to resolve it. For

example, one might suggest correlations between specified socioeconomic

variables (I could then calculate the required correlation coefficients),

or specified irregular variations of specified confounding factors with

age or economic status, or ............

        I offer a $1000 award to anyone who submits a suggestion that,

after a detailed evaluation, leads to a not-implausible explanation of our

discrepancy. I can give up to five such awards. If the submitter does not

agree with my judgement on plausibility, I would be happy to accept the

public judgement of any prominent radiation health scientist suggested by

the submitter (by "prominent" let's say 10 papers in HEALTH PHYSICS over

the past 10 years --or something equivalent). I would hope to publish a

paper on this, with the submitter and judge as coauthors if they like.

        Alternative suggestions for implementing my offer would be most

welcome. I really need help on this problem.

        If anyone would like a copy of our data file, I would be happy to

provide it.