Re: DU in Iraq

The calculation below seems to be correct to me (thank you Stewart). May be

that Lord

Marshall instead had 6 kg of U and 2 kg of Th (I really don't know). If so

my underestimate

would have landed at about 1.8E6 tons instead. The bottom line is the same -

that

75 tons of DU is a tiny fraction added to the uranium that is already there.

Then there is a question of bioavailability depending on the form of the

uranium

-still one should have little reason to be worried about it (the worst case

scenarios

that we discussed here earlier were: 1/ someone who entered an armored

vehicle

that just had been hit  2/ a kid ingesting soil next to an armored vehicle

that had been

hit (with ordinary cars the DU rounds would just go right through I have

been told).

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com

-----

>the first 0.3 meters only, this estimate would equate to 5.1E6 metric tons

uranium vs. Bjorns derived estimate below of 0.6E6 metric tons, about 8.5

times

less. Does Iraq's surface area have uranium at the crustal average of 2.5

ppm? No

idea but it's a good starting point for a crude estimate of total uranium in

the

surface layer of the country.

Since our good friend Norm Cohen in an earlier post stated a rough estimate

of

military action in Iraq having scattered 75 tons of depleted uranium rounds

in

Iraq, by my estimate derived above the uranium content of Iraq's surface one

meter of soil will have been increased by an average of less than 0.0004

percent

on average.

Stewart Farber

farbersa@optonline.net

5/18/03 5:10:34 AM, Bjorn Cedervall <bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

 >>Have you made any progress on Otto's question about calculating the

amount