Re: radiography - deja vu all over again

While we definitely need better enforcement, I try to avoid "zero tolerance"

policies, for several reasons:  (1) They are unfair to a good person having a

bad day.  (2) They encourage coverups.  (3) They tend to be a subsitute for

correcting program weaknesses.

The incidents are generally the "tip of the iceberg" for a weak program.

Program elements I'd look at include:  (1) training - Is the training relevant

and challenging?  Is the exam valid?  Are those who fail the exam properly

remediated?  (2) procedures - Are procedures valid and maintained?  Is

feedback on procedures encouraged and incorporated into procedure revisions?

Do workers have current revs of the procedures they need.  (3) Supervision -

Do supervisors demand strict compliance with safety procedures?  (I would

guess that in many organizations, supervisors emphasize production and give

the message to their workers that they don't really care whether procedures

are followed; just don't get caught.)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton