RE: radiography - deja vu all over again

Hey folks, we should agree with the Radsafer who said: "When is the NRC going to start taking radiography seriously?"  In fact, I think the NRC should implement the following rules.

Rule 1. A NRC inspector shall accompany every on-site industrial radiography project. A NRC inspector shall be stationed at every fixed radiography site. Justification: It will provide more job security for NRC inspectors and increase the NRC's power and empire. Oh, by the way, it may increase safety as long as the inspector remains awake. The precedence for this action was set with power plants.

Rule 2. A policeman shall accompany every industrial radiography vehicle. Justification: ostensibly for Homeland Security as no one wants terrorists to steal the source; to assure that industrial radiographers drive safely and do not endanger millions and millions of people by having an accident with the source in the vehicle; and to provide an image of public assurance so the NRC and politicians look like they are protecting the public. The policeman shall stay in the vehicle as long as the source is in the vehicle (no potty breaks allowed). It is recommended that the policeman carry a 9mm handgun, an assault rifle, 10 hand grenades and a surface-to-air missile.

Rule 3. An Industrial Hygienist shall accompany every on-site industrial radiography project to: assure that the radiographer's working conditions are safe; assure that no environmental condition will distract the radiographer; and to make sure the radiographer washes his hands after using the toilet.

Rule 4. Each licensee shall make every effort to bring the work to a fixed, environmentally friendly facility to reduce the distraction of poor working conditions that may lead a radiographer to hurry.  Radiographers should not work in freezing cold or stifling heat, it makes them do dumb things.

We must protect the individual from his/her own stupidity.

Larry Grimm

If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not my employer's.