RE: radiography - deja vu all over again

Dropping the sarcasm of my previous post, here's a serious reply.

The NRC recognized the problem of industrial radiographers (IRs) at least 30 years ago.  IRs as a group had more overexposures than any other group of radioactive material users, and probably still do.  The NRC implemented all sorts of regulations specifically aimed at the IRs.  The NRC implemented IR training courses for NRC and agreement state inspectors - which I attended in 1979.  It is a very good course.  The NRC created an excellent book/guide for IRs.  I would argue that the regulatory bodies are most cognizant of the problem and work hard to decrease the problem.

When one studies the problem, it is evident that almost all the overexposures are related to an individual failing to follow the rules.  There are a lot of factors for this happening. IRs work in horrendous environments.  They are always under pressure to get the work done and often have to work when no one else is around, i.e. after midnight.  They spend days and weeks on the road, sleeping in fleabag motels.  They tend to be a rough and tumble lot, and there are not too many Ph.D.'s in the crowd.  As an indication of how rough they can be, I know a State inspector who was shot at by an IR.

I beg the question of, "What more can the regulators do?" I would say, not much. How do you stop an individual from doing something stupid?  Short of implementing my sarcastic recommendations for rules, I believe the regulators have done a good job of trying to solve the problem.

What troubled me about the Radsafer's post was the reactionary, "call-to-arms" indicating the NRC was not doing enough.  This type of reactionary, ignorant (of all facets of the problem) behavior is irresponsible for a HP.  It is typically the irresponsible behavior of a politician or an anti-nuke person, but should not be the behavior of a HP.

Larry Grimm

If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not my employer's.