Re: radiography - deja vu all over again

The message in both of your posts seems to be that there's nothing more that the regulators can do, and that I'm "reactionary, ignorant, and irresponsible" for suggesting otherwise.

I think I've said all of this, before, but recognizing that my communciation abilities may be almost as bad as yours, I'll try again.

I think that 10 CFR 34 is a good regulation.  The problem is that enforcement seems to be reactive rather than proactive, i.e. they slam anyone who's unfortunate enough to screw up (and get caught), but do not seem to identify and address the root causes of the problem.

Although the proximate cause for most of these incidents is an individual failure, this is probably the tip of the iceberg; just a symptom of organizations for which safety is a low priority.  Enforcement should be concentrated at the program level, to catch violations before they lead to full scale incidents.  Here are some thoughts:

1.  It seems that some Agreement State programs are better than others.  The NRC should look at this, and benchmark the best programs.

2.  training - Another Radsafer described a situation where an individual who failed the exam was coached thru the same exam to pass.  I've seen a similar situation.  The NRC should look at exam content and validity.  It may be necessary to require radiographers to pass a NRC (or Agreement State)-administered exam.

3.  procedures - The NRC should review licensee procedures to assure that they are current and valid, that there is a program to incorporate radioagrapher comments, and that all radiographers have current copies of the procedures they need.

4.  safety culture - I admit this is a tough one.  You can't dictate attitude.  I would suggest that all licensees have an ombudsman program, where all employees have confidential access to an individual who can follow up on safety concerns.  One of the problems seems to be the time pressure, which is really a reflection of cost pressure.  Effective enforcement would take away the cost advantage of cutting corners.

When I ask, "When will the NRC take radiography seriously?" I'm really asking the NRC to devote the resources necessary to fix this problem.

If this is your definition of  "reactionary, ignorant, and irresponsible," then I'm guilty as charged.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com