Re: Peanut butter or other skin decon methods in place of water and soap

Many thanks to everyone who replied on- and off-line.  Just to answer a

few questions that popped up:

Yes, BNFL's procedure calls for lukewarm water and soap, up to and

including mild scrubbing, not to abrade the skin.  We're in the process of

revising our personnel decon procedure, so I was planning on adding in

some additional guidance for our RCTs to go by, although it sounds like it

would be better to leave the procedure open-ended for the RADCON

Mgr/designee to specify other decon techniques.

I heard about the Tc-peanut butter story initially from one of the RCTs

who worked at Portsmouth, I think, as a junior.  He mentioned that they

had a floor area that was contaminated with Tc and another RCT got a

masslin mop, slathered on some peanut butter (smooth, not crunchy), wiped

the floor area, and then wiped up the peanut butter.  The Jr RCT did the

follow-up survey and found absolutely nothing above background (it was

initially several thousand dpm/100 cm^2 beta).  He said Tc was attracted

to protein, but another RCT (also formerly of the same facility) said it

was due to the oil content, thus my question of why it actually works.

We have considered the peanut allergy issue and are trying to line up some

other possible decon solutions, such as oatmeal paste, etc.

As for how to keep the techs from licking their fingers after decon ops,

well, I guess we'd have to threaten to take their pens away and call them

deconners ;-)  (no disrespect meant in any shape, form, or fashion to

decon personnel reading this!).

One final question - is it the consensus of RadSafe that peanut butter

works due to its abrasiveness, organic oil content, or protein affinity,

or is it a combination of any/all of these factors?

Thanks -

Paul J. Mink

SAIC Radiological Engineer

BNFL-ETTP RADCON

K-1550-T

Office (865) 576-2123

Fax     (865) 241-0452

Alpha pager 1-800-622-6576

 -To send alpha page goto http://www.arch.com/message/.  Enter 10 digit

pager number (80062226576), click "Continue" and enter text (200

characters max).

Smile...it makes people wonder what you're up to.

Paul Mink

05/28/2003 02:17 PM