RE: Niagara Falls Electromet

It's a shame that what you've quoted seems to contradict itself, by saying that it processed uranium tetrafluoride to U metal. As we all know uranium tetrafluoride is NOT uranium ore. So I'm not sure how it can be an ore to metal processing plant. One half of your quote is incorrect if the other half is correct. In my eyes this makes it a dubious reference.

-----Original Message-----
From: NiagaraNet@aol.com [mailto:NiagaraNet@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 3 June 2003 12:44 PM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu; janet.westbrook@comcast.net
Cc: NiagaraNet@aol.com
Subject: Niagara Falls Electromet

Dear Ms. Janet Westbrook and Radsafers:

I have double checked the reference for Union Carbide Electromet and it is good.
I have a direct letter from the DOE as well as this web listing that was given previously. I am very familiar with most aspects of the MED in the WNY/Niagara area.
Please recheck your source(s).
Once more--
http://tis.eh.doe.gov/ohre/new/findingaids/epidemiologic/orise/app.html

APPENDIX A
SITES AND CONTRACTORS

Electro Metallurgical Company (Niagara Falls, New York), a subsidiary of Union Carbide, was the MED's largest ore-to-metal uranium production plant. From 1942 to 1953, the plant processed uranium tetrafluoride (green salt) into uranium metal. The plant was also called the Union Carbide and Chemical Electro-Metallurgical Division Works.
This is a cut and paste of the DOE Openness web site citation.
--
I am interested in activities by Harshaw Chemical in the WNY area.
Any info?

Please give my regards to David Dooley.
Sincerely,
L.H. Ricciuti
NiagaraNet@aol.com

"Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all."  Helen Keller
Atoms for Peace.

This e-mail is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it immediately and notify the sender. Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Environment Protection Authority.