Re: Mossman paper in Health Physics News - The Debate is Over

Dr. Cohen,

I know you will disagree with this statement, but in my opinion, you have not

responded to many of my points in either a direct or convincing fashion.  In

fact, in many cases, you have ignored my points focusing rather on what you

thought you could respond to.

I will pick one instance where we in a publication in the HPJ suggested a

plausible reason for your inverse findings.  In Field, R.W., Smith, B.J. and

Lynch, C.F. Ecologic Bias Revisited, A Rejoinder to Cohen’s Response to

Residential radon-222 exposure and lung cancer: testing the linear no-threshold

theory with ecologic data. Health Physics. 75(1): 31-33, 1998. We

stated, “Cohen’s inability to eliminate the residual confounding of smoking

provides a plausible reason for his observed negative correlation between mean

county radon concentrations and lung cancer mortality.”

In the previous email I pointed out that - your smoking data is co-correlated

with socioeconomic status, poor health care, apartment living, mobility, lower

education status, etc.  You have never assessed all these variables in a

multivariate analyses.  And in fact, this would be impossible to adequately

because of the non linear relationships between these factors within and

between counties.

Your often repeated response is “Even a perfect negative S-r correlation does

not give a positive b value”.

My response has been over the years is that you can not just look at your

estimated county smoking information, you must also look at the co-variates of

county smoking.  Additional use of poor summary county smoking data alone can

not be used to validate your findings.

I respectfully understand that you will not agree that residual confounding

from smoking, and co-correlated variables, is a plausible explanation so

according to your latest offer stating that you “would be happy to accept the

judgment of a prominent scientist (with no prior opinions about my study)

mutually agreed to by the submitter and myself, and willing to publish a paper

on this with the submitter and myself as coauthors, with each of us explaining

our viewpoints",    please suggest a few scientists whose decision you would

accept.

I am sure we would also both welcome suggestions on scientists from Radsafe.

Honestly though, I am not sure how one can really validate that the scientist

has no a priori opinion on this matter.

Please understand I do not want any award, but rather a conclussion to this

debate.

I do agree with Mossman that it is up to Dr. Cohen to offer real evidence that

radon has a protective effect under about 300 Bq/m3. The residential case-

control studies do not support the presumption that radon has a protective

effect.  And as we know, findings from ecologic studies are "validated" using

analytic studies such as case-control studies (not the other way around).

Bill Field

epirad@mchsi.com