RE: Brazil Nut Radwaste Standard

 To add a European view to this, UK Environmental Legislation has an exemption level of 0.4Bq/g ( 11pCi/g) for disposal of wastes. As in the US, Brazil nuts are theoretically a radioactive substance and the man selling them in our local market would be breaking the law in disposing of them if they weren't Brazil nuts. The fact he is doing this in an uncontrolled way, and he is selling these dangerous products for human consumption, says a lot about people's concern for radioactive materials. They do taste good though.

If you were to eat a bag of 100-200g of nuts per week (not really a lot, about 30-40 nuts) then your resultant dose in a year has been estimated to be 0.2 mSv  (20mRem)*. 20 mRem with no controls...

Of more interest may be a DRAFT IAEA document on commodities that is trying rationalise the international approach to dealing with trade with materials that are potentially contaminated with radioactive materials. They have recommended values of 1 Bq/g (27pCi/g) ,10 Bq/g (270 pCi/g) and 100 Bq/g (270 pCi/g) for alpha, long lived beta, and others isotopes, are used for exempt materials. This a potential sign that there may be some rationality being applied to this subject. Whether this gets issued and adopted by our respective governments is of course the $64K question.

George Sallit

These views are purely my own and do not represent those of my employer.

* http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/statistics/des/radioact/ra1012.htm