Re: Cardio disease citation--as promised, was Gofman

The big problem with the data shown below is that they are crude

mortality (or incidence) rates.  Unless & until they are adjusted (or

standardized) for age, smoking rates, socio-economic status and any

other obvious confounders, they don't really tell us whether there's a

problem or not.  Ms. Smith should know that, and should also know that

hospitalization data and mortality data are not the same.

Mr. Ricciuti, I'm not saying there is no problem in the Niagara Falls

area, I'm saying that there is a reason why studies that hold up under

scrutiny publish adjusted (or standardized) mortality rates, just like

there's a reason why radsafers argue about whether residential radon

studies have dealt with confounders properly.  This issue isn't limited

to studies of radiation health effects, but arises in any study where

health effects are correlated with environmental exposures.  Unlike

physics problems, epidemiological problems rarely have answers that are

clear cut.

The bottom line is that neither health physics nor epidemiology should

be practiced by amateurs.

Back to work,

Tony Harrison, MSPH

Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment

Laboratory Services Division

(303)692-3046

tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> <NiagaraNet@AOL.COM> 06/06/03 07:17PM >>>

Dear Radsafers:

Here is a letter that I requested from the epidemiologist that was a

part of

the number crunching for the WNY/Niagara cardio stats. Please credit

the

Research Center for Stroke & Heart Disease of The Jacobs Neurological

Institute as

the source of this information when referencing it. The data set, as

described, can be released to approved researchers.

So, I guess we don't have to believe a US Senator, a Mayo trained

cardiologist,

a hospital president, or me  :*)

I hope this helps to validate some of what I have posted. Further

research is

being reviewed and more is anticipated.

Regards,

L.H. Ricciuti

NiagaraNet@aol.com

"We're not here for a good time, nor for a long time."

---

Subj:   The information you requested

Date:   6/6/2003 5:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time

From:   <A

HREF="mailto:SKSmith@KaleidaHealth.Org";>SKSmith@KaleidaHealth.Org</A>

To: <A HREF="mailto:niagaranet@aol.com";>niagaranet@aol.com</A>

File:   Mort&Hospbyregion,countyTABLES.xls (20992 bytes) DL Time (26400

bps):

< 1 minute

Sent from the Internet (Details)

L.H. Ricciuti,

The Research Center for Stroke & Heart Disease of The Jacobs

Neurological

Institute at Kaleida Health (Buffalo General Hospital) collects raw

data files

from several sources in order to sort and analyze them in an effort to

present

epidemiological profiles of stroke and heart disease for Western New

York (WNY)

and other regions of New York State (NYS). Sources of data include: the

Statewide Planning and Research Cooperative System (SPARCS) at the New

York State

Department of Health (NYSDOH) for hospitalization data and the Vital

Statistics

System at the NYSDOH for mortality data. There are also others, but the

data

I will discuss below are from the aforementioned sources.

In the year 2000, Niagara County, New York had the greatest number of

hospitalizations (a measure of prevalence) of any county in the entire

state, be it

Upstate or Downstate New York. Niagara County had 443.947 per 100,000

population cases of hospitalized cerebrovascular disease and 1008.433

per 100,000

population cases of hospitalized cardiovascular disease-- these rates

are 48% and

73% higher than the state aggregate rate, respectively (these rates are

crude

morbidity rates). In some cases, Niagara County residents experienced

nearly

five times as many hospitalizations for cardiovascular disease than

residents of

other areas of NYS. WNY as a region has the worst rate of both

cerebrovascular disease hospitalizations and cardiovascular disease

hospitalizations of any

other region of NYS. These raw data are from SPARCS at the NYSDOH. This

is NY

State's best source of hospitalization data which we can analyze in

several

ways including by ICD code. As I mentioned earlier on the phone, these

raw

datasets are available to hospitals within NYS and upon request, if

approved, to

other researchers.

As far as mortality, Niagara County fares the worst with regard to

cardiovascular disease mortality when compared to all other WNY

counties as well as the

aggregate state and national rates of mortality (Year 2000 as well).

The

Niagara County rate of cardiovascular disease mortality is 27% higher

than the

aggregate state rate. And, WNY itself fares worse than any other region

of NY

State, and the US as a whole, with regard to cardiovascular disease

mortality.

Niagara County has the fifth highest rate of cardiovascular disease

mortality of

all 62 counties in NYS. The raw data we analyzed here are from the

Vital

Statistics System out of the NYSDOH.

So, as you know, the numbers strongly support the argument that Niagara

County has extraordinarily high rates of heart disease and stroke, in

fact, in many

cases, the worst rates in the whole state. The WNY region, almost

across the

board, has the highest rates of stroke and heart disease mortality and

morbidity of all regions of the entire state as well.

I will attach a Word document with crude death and morbidity rates of

cerebrovascular and cardiovascular disease rates for NYS regions and

counties (the

file has two worksheets in it with labeled tabs). I hope this gives you

quite a

bit to work with. There are many, many ways to present and make

comparisons

with these data. Please credit the Research Center for Stroke & Heart

Disease of

The Jacobs Neurological Institute as the source of this information

when

referencing it. And, kindly send me anything that you do produce. I

would love to

see it. My contact info is below.

* Note: I use the terms stroke and cerebrovascular disease

interchangeably

and I use the terms heart disease and cardiovascular disease

interchangeably.

Shannon Smith

<<Mort & Hosp by region, county TABLES.xls>>

Shannon K. Smith, M.S.

Director of Research

Research Center for Stroke & Heart Disease

The Jacobs Neurological Institute

100 High Street, Suite C319

Buffalo, New York 14203

Phone: (716) 859-3328, Fax: (716) 859-3324

__

Once I've looked at the spread sheet that was sent to me as an

attachment,

I'd be happy to pass it along to those that would wish to see it. I

will need a

week to peruse it myself, so any time after that, a request would be

welcomed.

LHR

Time 21:12