RE: Cs and a question, if you please

Yes, I know what they are and how they were used. But if you look in the NRC

regulations (10 CFR 30.15 (a) 8) electron tubes (gap switches) with < 5 uCi

Cs-137 are exempted from licensing and the requirements of 10 CFR 20, 30-36

and 39. Generally the isotope was plated on to an electrode inside the

hollow sealed ceramic body of the gap switch. Impossible to release to the

environment unless you crush the GS ( VERY difficult job in itself) and

chemically, or mechanically remove the isotope from the electrode surface.