Beckman LSC source leakage

Received the following this morning.  If you have a Beckman LSC you may

wish to contact them directly.

May 27, 2003

IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION

All Beckman Coulter bench top Liquid Scintillation Counters

Dear Beckman Coulter Liquid Scintillation User:

Our records indicate that you have a Beckman Coulter bench-top liquid

scintillation (LS) counter in your laboratory.  Beckman Coulter has

learned that an isolated number of its bench-top LS instruments may

develop a leak in the internal 30 microcurie (1110 kBq)

Cs-137 scaled source.  The affected instruments are those manufactured

before January l994.  Indications that you may have a damaged source

are:

an unexplained high background reading, or

an inability to calibrate the instrument.

We routinely inspect the internal sealed source on every preventive

maintenance visit made under a service contract.  We also recommend that

all LS instrument owners perform periodic background checks for possible

contamination, as described in the liquid scintillation system operating

manuals.  The process for these checks is as follows:

      Set up the instrument to count for five minutes in a wide-open

window.

      Count the sealed Background Standard.

      Counts should typically be less than 60 CPM.

If your instrument shows a high background count or cannot be

calibrated, please contact Beckman Coulter to schedule an inspection.

If, upon inspection by our Field Service personnel, it is determined

that the internal sealed source is leaking and must be replaced, there

will be no charge for the service call.  To arrange an inspection, or to

obtain answers to any questions you may have, please call your local

service office in the United States at 800-***-****, in Canada at

800-***-****, or contact us via our website at www.beckmancotilter.com.

Thank you for your continued support of Beckman Coulter products.

Berend Houwen, M.D., Ph.D.

Corporate Medical Director

 James Reese

Sr. Health Physicist