Re: Cadmium Studies Suggest New Pathway To Human Cancer

"What we have shown," Dr. Gordenin continued, "is that environmental factors
> such as cadmium can cause high levels of mutations not only by damaging DNA
> directly but also by inhibiting DNA repair."

Bruce, if what they say is true then most shipyard workers that were involved in shipboard construction and repair, especially pipefitters and welders, should have be dying at a high rate or showing excessive DNA changes.  When I was employed in the shipyards you could taste the sweet cadmium on your lips and in your mouth after working inside the ships and subs during repair and construction.  X-ray spectrometry of air samples obtained in the late 60's and early 70's showed high cadmium levels at in general areas adjacent to the ships being worked on.  The 2-3 hour grab samples were taken during the swing and graveyard shifts and were normally heavily coated with particulates and dark in color.

Evidently, yeast cells are more susceptive to Cadmium toxicity than the average human.  Of course this is just my humble opinion based on real life observations and with no supporting laboratory studies.

Dean Chaney, CHP