Re: Mossman paper in Health Physics News - The Debate is Over

Dr. Cohen, You wrote - Am I correct in assuming that is what you mean?

No, you are not correct, I gave these examples below not the ones you stated

(see below) -

I have offered (since 1999) a plausible explanantion for your findings.

In the previous email I pointed out that - your smoking data is co-correlated

with socioeconomic status, poor health care, apartment living, mobility, lower

education status, etc.  You have never assessed all these variables in a

multivariate analyses.  And in fact, this would be impossible to do adequately

because of the non linear relationships between these factors within and

between counties.

If you do not feel it is plausible, which scientists do you recommend we have

review whether or not this is a plausible explanation?

You have not answered others questions regarding whether you would accept the

NCRPs opinion on whether or not your poor smoking data in large part explains

your finings.   We previously pointed out the poor predictive ability of your

smoking data to explain lung cancers.  Puskin has further shown your inverse

association is also found for other smoking related cancers.  It is pretty

clear that you have residual confounding from smoking and the confounding is

enhanced by factors co-correlated to smoking.

I understand your "treatments", but disagree that you can validly use

additional faulty summary data to "treat" your existing summary data.

Bill Field