Re: 38,222CPM

In the order that you asked: I don't know.  Yes.  Yes, or, central

sourthern NY.   Not particularly.  I've seen rock specimens from nothern

New Jersey that run up to 300,000 cpm at 1 centimeter distance from a

thin window GM detector. I'd probably wash my hands, primarily I usually

do before eating.  I'm not familar with the NY regulations regarding

disposal.  In New Jersey you could simply put it back where you got it

or put it in the trash.  Check with NY on their rules.

If you look on eBay you'll see geological specimens for sale that are

similar to the one you describe.

Gerald Nicholls

NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection

609-633-7964

>>> <NiagaraNet@AOL.COM> 06/11/03 11:32AM >>>

Hey folks:

Just a quick question; What type of rock would exhibit 38,222CPM?

Could this be a rock with a vein of ore such as Uranium (any variety)?

Could this rock be from Western New York State?

Would this "rock" be considered radioactively "hot" and would it

present a

danger say if handled and then went to lunch without washing ones

hands?

How would I properly dispose of this specimen?

Thanks for your opinions/expertise.

LR (now I'm "masking" my identity:*)

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.