Re: 38,222CPM

Come on, Syd.  I already have a Fiesta Ware plate to check my Geiger

counter.  I keep it by my chair to place my coffee cup on.  Any way, I

have waited a few decades, almost 5 since I started in this business in

the USAF.  I expect I will die, but I am still waiting.  I hope to wait

a couple more decades and I will keep you posted along the way.

My point was really that a chunk of radioactive rock, presumable

naturally so, would normally be disposable in the trash for burial in a

landfill. Any contrary regulations to the contrary would generally cause

a hue and cry way beyond their value to safety.  This would not be true

for the old radium anti-static source I identified a while back that had

been put into a recycling bin.  Now that sucker was hot!  It deserved

the regulatory attention that it got.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to see a picture of the rock in

question along with a scale, and I would be interested in knowing more

about the instrument that is counting 38,222 cpm.  It might be a

scaler...  rather than a ratemeter...

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee