From: "John Andrews" <andrewsjp@chartertn.net>

To: <NiagaraNet@AOL.COM>

Cc: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 9:09 PM

Subject: Re: 38,222CPM

> NiagaraNet@AOL.COM wrote:

> >Hey folks:

> >Just a quick question; What type of rock would exhibit 38,222CPM?

>        Sounds like you have a chunk of U or Th ore to me.

> >Could this be a rock with a vein of ore such as Uranium (any variety)?

>        Could be... Do you have a picture?  What color is it?  How big is

> it?  How much does it weigh?

> >Could this rock be from Western New York State?

>        Maybe.  Why do you think it might be from New York at all?

> >Would this "rock" be considered radioactively "hot" and would it present

> >danger say if handled and then went to lunch without washing ones hands?

>        This rock appears to be radioactive.  It is more so than your

> normal granite.  Is it "hot?"  No.  It is hard to say without much

> information on the type of detector used, the size and shape and weight

> of the rock, and the geometry of the measurement.

> >How would I properly dispose of this specimen?  Me? I would throw it away

in the trash, then wash my hands.  I would not go to the local regulators,

especially not in Tennessee.  They tend to have an expensive method of

disposal of anything above the normal background radiation levels.  They

once told me that a load of granite gravel would have to be disposed of as

radioactive waste because it was 5 micro R/hr above the local background

level.