Re: 38,222CPM

NiagaraNet@AOL.COM wrote:

>Hey folks:

>Just a quick question; What type of rock would exhibit 38,222CPM?

       Sounds like you have a chunk of U or Th ore to me.

>Could this be a rock with a vein of ore such as Uranium (any variety)?

       Could be... Do you have a picture?  What color is it?  How big is

it?  How much does it weigh?

>Could this rock be from Western New York State?

       Maybe.  Why do you think it might be from New York at all?

>Would this "rock" be considered radioactively "hot" and would it present a

>danger say if handled and then went to lunch without washing ones hands?

       This rock appears to be radioactive.  It is more so than your

normal granite.  Is it "hot?"  No.  It is hard to say without much

information on the type of detector used, the size and shape and weight

of the rock, and the geometry of the measurement.

>How would I properly dispose of this specimen?  Me? I would throw it away in the trash, then wash my hands.  I would not go to the local regulators, especially not in Tennessee.  They tend to have an expensive method of disposal of anything above the normal background radiation levels.  They once told me that a load of granite gravel would have to be disposed of as radioactive waste because it was 5 micro R/hr above the local background level.

>Thanks for your opinions/expertise.

        Your welcome. and it is free.

>LR (now I'm "masking" my identity:*)

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee

(Now I have the Tenn DRH agents all upset...)