Re: Who is Louis Ricciuti?

Steven Dapra wrote:

> Go to < www.petitiononline.com/category_2.html> for a petition to the

> "Department of Defense, US Army Corps of Engineeers, US Congress, US

> Senate, United Nations Secretary General and local governmental bodies"

> requesting the formation of a self-governing committee of citizens to

> oversee environmental cleanup of rad-contaminated sites in the Niagara

> Falls area.   The petition was written by Louis Ricciuti.

As executive director of an oversight organization, I am going to step

up and defend Mr. Ricciuti's petition.  No matter what you think of his

opinions, research or how he presents himself, local communities have a

right to oversee environmental decisions that affect them.  In my

considerable experience in this arena, the more informed that interested

citizens are, the more likely they are to understand the technical

issues and agree to realistic solutions.  In addition, they often can

identify issues or concerns that would otherwise be technical or policy

pitfalls for their sites or communities.

If the official Restoration Advisory Board is being discontinued, then

it is not unreasonable to petition for formation of another oversight

board.  I have heard many complaints about tight control of RABs by the

DoD, and have found that those who operate under the Federal Advisory

Committees Act (including DOE's SSABs) have a number of requirements and

contraints on their scope and membership.

My preference is that such an oversight committee be open to any

interested stakeholder--including those with technical expertise--and

work closely with local governments, as this is where land-use

decision-making is vested in our system of government.

Susan Gawarecki

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Toll free 888-770-3073 ~ www.local-oversight.org