Re: Radioactive Rock Found In Science Class

I checked with the school this morning on the incident reported in the

posting.  This actually occurred several years ago.  I'm unsure why it

is being posted now.

My recollection of the events is that the principal of the school was

alerted to the presence of a rock in a science room that gave readings

on a geiger counter.  Generally speaking, science teachers, even physics

teachers, have little or no practical experience with radiation.  The

principal reported the incident to local emergency management who, in

turn, reported it through normal channels for such incidents here in New

Jersey.  A staff member from our radiation protection program responded

by telephone but found that either the school officials or the local

emergency management group had evacuated the building.  He then went to

the school and found the school officials, the mayor and the media.

He examined the rock (a geology specimen) and spoke to the mayor and

school officials privately, explaining that no real hazard existed.  The

mayor then took charge of the situation, advising everyone that this was

a simple case of overreaction.  Everyone then went home.  The media, of

course, saw the events somewhat differently and hyped the report.

It is interesting to note that the mayor, who acted quickly and

responsibly once advised of the facts of the situation, is now the

Governor of New Jersey, James E. McGreevey.

Sometimes, however, incidents in schools are serious.  About 15 years

ago, a high school student was carrying a GM survey meter down the

corridor of a private elementary school in New Jersey and noticed high

readings.  The student had borrowed the meter to show to friends.  These

events were reported to a faculty member at a local university and then

to our radiation protection program.  Subsequent investigation showed

that the source of the readings was an unshielded 50 mCi radium

nasopharyngeal applicator that had been sitting in a small store room

for an undertermined amount of time.  The source was eventually traced

to the office of a deceased physician.

To answer your original question, Colonia High School does have a web

site. It is www.woodbridge.k12.nj.us/high_chs.html

Gerald Nicholls

NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection

>>> "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM> 06/12/03 05:46AM >>>

 > Colonia High School in Woodbridge Township, New Jersey is closed

 > today after officials discovered a grapefruit-sized radioactive

rock

 > in a science class.

 > Woodbridge Township Emergency Management Coordinator John Mitch

says

 > about 70 to 90 students were exposed. Mitch tells the Newark Star-

 > Ledger the children were advised to wash with soap and water as a

I tried to find email addresses to the local administrators, school

representatives (head

principal for instance, city administrator, local Board of Education)

etc

but was unsuccessful.

Anyone who can help?

What about the journalist/writer at the Star-Ledger?

email to the local emergency unit?

Facts regarding the radioactive rock? (how many Bq etc?)

How many kids were sent home? For how long?

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.