Petitioner comments to State of IL letter recommending rejection of said petition

To facilitate an on-going dialogue regarding my petition for

rulemaking, I am providing my response I submitted to the USNRC this

morning, regarding the recently posted State of IL letter

recommending that my petition be rejected. While I respect many of

the state's comments, it is my opinion that they are "throwing the

baby out with the bath water" and really did not address the

reasoning and real intent of my petition. The IDNS is the only

"posted" comment so far. I know Bill Lipton recommended some

excellent modifications (that I concur with) but they have not been

either submitted, or just haven't been posted on the NRC site yet.

Response to State of Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety letter in

regards to Docket Number Petition Rule PRM-20-25, May 4, 2003

The State of Illinois provided the following comments to my petition

for rulemaking:

1. While IDNS agrees that it is generally desirable for dosimetry to

be NVLAP accredited, there are certain situations where NVLAP

accreditation is impossible. For example, NVLAP accreditation is not

available for all neutron fields. Adoption of the petitioner's

proposal would leave no compliance options for licenses with

radiation fields beyond the standard NVLAP parameters.

Petitioner's Response: The IDNS is accurate when they state that

NVLAP does not include all neutron fields that can be found in the

field. This is also true for high and low energy photons as well as

beta radiation. NVLAP testing is based on ANSI N13.11-2001

requirements. The current ANSI N13.11-2001 expanded the NIST beam

codes to be available for testing from 5 up to a possible 59. In

addition, bare Cf-252 was added to supplement the previous moderated

Cf-252 field. The licensee or facility that uses x-ray-generating

equipment may chose what NVLAP categories to test in. The facility is

not required to test in every category, only those that are

representative of the filed use in which their employees are exposed

to. The categories chosen for testing are to be validated by the NRC

and/or state regulatory agency when the facility is inspected. Based

on the state's position with respect to this petition, they would

have one never test to any standard if the standard does not address

all photon, beta and neutron possible energy spectra. The intent of

NVLAP is top test the various energies across a broad spectra. The

newly revised ANSI N13.11-2001 does do just that. As far as the last

sentence where IDNS states "Adoption of the petitioner's proposal

would leave no compliance options for licenses with radiation fields

beyond the standard NVLAP parameters", that is the case today with

the photons tested. Does IDNS then assume to state that if a facility

works with an x-ray filed that does not get tested in the standard,

that the facility need not test to NVLAP? The answer is no, since the

IDNS, as do all other states, requiring personnel who wear a whole

body dosimeter that is processed, wear one that is NVLAP accredited.

The petition does not change that. The petition states that all whole

body as well as extremity dosimeters shall require NVLAP

accreditation. If there is no specific test for a specific energy, be

it photon, beta or neutron, then there is no test. That does not

change the fact that there is a standard to be met. Where there is no

current test, the facility still must demonstrate to the regulatory

agency how they justify using the specific dosimeter they provide

their employees. This has been the case in the past and that fact

does not change with this specific petition.

2. The petitioner does not propose a satisfactory solution for backup

dosimetry. Although the petitioner points out that certain licensees

issue redundant dosimetry to their personnel, that does not

completely eliminate solutions where the primary dosimetry is lost,

contaminated, or otherwise not useable. In these cases, the license

must still assign a dose of record and should be able to do so using

secondary non-NVLAP dosimetry. USNRC or Agreement State inspectors

should carefully evaluate the use of secondary Dosimetry for

compliance purposes.

Petitioner's Response: In the IDNS comment above, they are simply

stating what is the current situation with secondary dosimetry. To

consider the effect of using a secondary dosimeter, at the same time

that IDNS does not support the primary dosimeter to be NVLAP

accredited, as recommended in the petition, does not make any sense

to the petitioner. Granted, I do not address secondary dosimetry. My

intent is not to have every facility NVLAP approve both the primary

and secondary dosimeter that is worn. In that a facility can

calculate a dose when the primary dosimeter is lost, that is an

accepted method. My intent is not to force a facility to NVLAP test

every dosimeter they may wear, when they have provided additional

dosimetry, where a facility may only wear a single dosimeter. The

facility may elect to test both the primary and secondary dosimeter,

but that is not a requirement the petition proposes. The USNRC and

Agreement State inspectors should evaluate any dose of record that

was derived from a secondary dosimeter or from a calculation based on

surveys, stay times or other parameters that were used to perform the

dose reconstruction. That issue has nothing to do with this petition.

The petition addresses primary dosimetry only. If the USNRC believes

that they want to also include secondary dosimetry as requiring NVLAP

accreditation, that is their option. However, the petition does not

require that.

3. The petitioner makes the argument that the mandatory use of NVLAP

dosimetry would somehow require licensees to better evaluate

dosimetry use conditions and ensure that appropriate dosimetry is

employed. We disagree. Although the proper matching of a personnel

dosimeter with use conditions and radiation fields is critical to

proper dose assignment, the mandatory use of NVALP devices would not

address this problem. Only the USNRC or Agreement State inspector is

in position to evaluate whether the licensee made the correct choice.

Petitioner's Response: I agree with the following statement, "Only

the USNRC or Agreement State inspector is in position to evaluate

whether the licensee made the correct choice." The intent of NVLAP is

to provide a standard that addresses both for proficiency testing of

the dosimeter to specific categories, that the facility elects to

test ion. Additionally, there is an on-site assessment by a technical

expert, to evaluate the entire quality system. The technical expert

addresses the dosimetry program in detail. The technical expert does

not address the regulatory implications as to whether the dosimeter

is tested in the most appropriate categories, leaving that to the

regulatory agencies. The assessor may recommend that they test in

certain categories, but that's not a significant part of the

assessment. What the NVLAP process does provide for is a thorough

assessment of the quality system whereby when a facility provides a

dose they can demonstrate that it meets current standards and that a

technical expert assessed the program.

The IDNS recommends that the petition not be approved. The result of

this would be that extremity dosimeters, ring or wrist dosimeters,

will continue to be worn, and, there will never be any requirement

that they be tested under any proficiency testing program, nor will

there ever be any assessment by a technical expert, in the area of

dosimetry and the proper processing of Dosimetry. This would also be

true for a facility that elects to only wear an electronic dosimeter

for dose of record. There would be no required testing or assessment

of the program. While the petitioner does not question the

capabilities of the IDNS inspectors, it is my opinion that when it

comes to a detailed assessment of the dosimeter ands the method it is

processed, and the algorithms used to derive the dose of record, the

NVLAP technical expert is more capable of assessing the overall

quality system, where there is ample time allotted to accomplish the

assessment.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/