Cohen's Observation

Radsafers,

Now let me get this straight.

Cohen's initial observation was that counties in the U.S. with the

higher average radon concentrations (real, measured values, albeit

averaged across a county population) correlate with lower county lung

cancer rates (data provided by NCI); and lower average radon

concentrations correlate with higher lung cancer rates.

I have not heard one argument question the validity of this observation

so I have to assume that Field et al. do not contest this observation.

Is this true? Do Field, Lubin, and the EPA agree with Cohen's basic

observation? If not, which is in error: the radon measurements or the

cancer incidence information is in error?

To me this is a very potent observation, and not one to be easily

dismissed as Field, Lubin, and BEIR VI have done. To not investigate why

this surprising correlation exists would be remiss. How do they explain

this observation?

Tom Mohaupt,

Wright State University

tom.mohaupt@wright.edu

Verily, my own observations from looking into a crystal ball and dimly

seeing the other side.