Re: Cohen's Observation

Just to clear up a few more statements you made-

Dr. Cohen stated, he did not use the SEER data because it is not available for

most counties, because I don't understand why it is better than mortality data.

Response -

The SEER Program is the only comprehensive source of population-based

information in the United States that includes stage of cancer at the time of

diagnosis and survival rates within each stage. SEE:

http://www.seer.cancer.gov/about/

Data is easily available using SEER stat which I previously sent Dr. Cohen

information about.   http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/

Quantity of data should not be as important as quality of data.   In many

state cancer registries, lung cancer is reported even if it is a secondary

cancer.

For example, in Iowa, Cohen’s county female lung cancer mortality data had

minimal power for predicting actual female county lung cancer incidence rates

for the more temporally correct time period (R = 0.15).

Cohen said, --I used the mortality data for 1970-1979 and for 1979-1994. These

are the only sets of data for which lung cancer mortality rates are  available

for anywhere nearly all of the counties. I did not use the SEER data because

it is not available for most counties, because it would take a lot of time to

data enter.

Response:

The ease of data entry should not be a pressing consideration for valid data

Within your references, you also state that within your data –

Low-income families are grossly underrepresented.

High rise apartments are not represented.

People concerned with environmental issues are overrepresented

Urban areas are greatly underrepresented

Cigarette smokers (and those socioeconomic factors associated with smoking)

are

          underrepresented

Rented homes are grossly under represented

You also indicated that 27% of bedrooms in your data set were located in the

basements.

When we replicate Cohen’s regression of Riggan’s lung cancer mortality data on

Cohen’s radon measurements, we get the same large negative associations as

reported by Cohen.  However, when we use the more temporally correct Iowa SEER

lung cancer incidence rates and regress them on Cohen’s radon measurements and

smoking percentages the large negative correlations go away.

I stated, we already showed that Cohen's summary smoking information alone

does a poor job of explaining the lung cancers within the counties.

Cohen stated, On the contrary, it does an excellent job of inndicating that

 the great majority of lung cancers are caused by smoking.

Response: We previously showed (Smith et al. 1998 HPJ, Field et al. 1999 HPJ)

that when Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages for males and females were

regressed on radon levels, significant (p < 0.00001) negative associations

between smoking and radon were noted for both males and females. In addition,

when we (Smith et al. 1998) repeated the regression of lung cancer mortality

rates on Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages, the resulting R2 values

indicated that Cohen's smoking summary data explained very little (23.7% for

females; 34.5% for males) of the variation in lung cancer mortality rates.

Surely these disagreements will not be resolved on Radsafe, only by a mutually

agreed 3rd party.