Radioactive Refrigerant

One of our building managers approached our HVAC Supervisor with some small portable household-type dehumidifiers.  We had been told that the equipment had spent some time in the accelerator tunnels.  The dehumidifiers have been surveyed and are considered to be radioactive.  This poses some interesting problems (sampling, recycling, decontamination of recovery units, storage, etc.).  As we asked additional questions, we learned that a long time ago, several larger dehumidifiers were intentionally installed in the tunnels.  So it looks like this is not just a one-time issue for us.

Right now, we are holding on to the units.  I have asked that we not extract the refrigerant until we have an idea as to how to handle it so that we don't get caught with non-compliances with the EPA regulations regarding CFCs and HCFCs.  The units aren't leaking at present.

Has anyone else had to deal with potentially radioactive refrigerant?  How does one analyze this for tritium and other radionuclides?  Any insight that anyone can offer would be most appreciated?  Thanks!
+ Elaine T. Marshall
+ Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
+ Facilities Engineering Services Section
+ Administration/Safety
+ Voice: (630 840-8756/Fax: (630) 840-4980
+ E-Mail: EMarshall@fnal.gov