From: epirad@mchsi.com [mailto:epirad@mchsi.com]

Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 12:30 PM

To: NIXON, Grant (Kanata)

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Cohen's Observation

Establishing causality is generally not possible when talking about complex

organisms like humans. If it were, it would not have taken so long to sue

cigarette manufacturers.

Grant -

The causality of smoking and lung cancer was established in the 50's by Sir

Richard Doll and others.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/science/science/personalities/text/ukperson/do

ll.

htm

By the way, Sir Richard Doll has also been critical of Dr. Cohen using

ecologic studies to assess the validity of the LNT.

See also: http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu:8053/Biometry/LMoye/StatAnalysis%

202001/PH1820%202001/epid1.htm

Regards, Bill Field