RE: Digital X-Ray Can Scan Body in 13 Seconds

Perhaps a compromise approach that might meet the spirit of ALARA is to

perform a true scan only on randomly selected workers.  To make this even

more realistic, management would have every worker still go through the

portal and have the machine only randomly scan with "real" X-rays every

tenth person (on average), or some other selected rate justified by the

socioeconomic factors.  Even the operator could be made unaware of which

workers are truly scanned, and which are "dummy" scanned, perhaps by having

a previously stored scanner image of that person (from the last time he or

she got truly scanned) show up on the video display.  Certainly, software

exists or can be set up to do this type of random scanning...

This will cut both collective dose and individual dose on average by 90%

(assuming every tenth person scanned), yet will still achieve a strong

deterrent purpose similar to what is accomplished by the possibility of

random checks at airport security points.  I would argue that such an

approach is probably almost as effective as 100% true scans, given that if a

person "believes" they are being scanned all the time (or even if they

eventually learn that the system is only randomly checking) they will think

twice before performing illegal activities.  Since most people are unaware

of how probability really works (see Las Vegas, for example), chances are

that even a person who thinks they can beat the odds will eventually get

caught, if not on the first instance, then sometime later on.

__________________________

Ernesto Faillace, Eng.D, CHP

Nuclear Engineer/Health Physicist

TETRA TECH NUS, Inc.

900 Trail Ridge Drive

Aiken, SC 29803

Telephone: (803) 649-7963

FAX: (803) 642-8454

faillacee@ttnus.com

http://www.ttnus.com/

http://www.tetratech.com/

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This e-mail message and its attachments (if any) are intended solely for the

use of the addressees hereof.  In addition, this message and the attachments

(if any) may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt

from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient

of this message, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing,

distributing, disseminating or otherwise using this transmission.  Delivery

of this message to any person other than the intended recipient is not

intended to waive any right or privilege.  If you have received this message

in error, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately