Question on Plutonium Facility D&D

I have a question for individuals experienced with the D&D of Plutonium

processing facilities.

We are currently sampling, draining and removing process lines/tanks

from our old Pu product purification cell.  This is a concrete cell,  so

the work has been with individuals performing all hands on work.

We are looking for ideas on radiological controls that we may not have

thought of yet.

1.  Some lines have PH of less than one, did you experience similar

liquids and what chemical controls did you use?

2.  Did you drain lines into a sealed system or an open system.

3.  After you drained the lines did you coat the inside of the lines

prior to cutting, remember, this is hands on work.

4. What was your cutting method?  Our lines are ½" stainless.

5.  How did you set up your work area ventilation.  We currently pull

air away from the cut area through a 6-8" flex vent duct drawing from

our main plant ventilation system.

We are about 1/3 the way complete with the cell and have run into lines

with this PH and Am-241 activity (complete isotopic analysis is not

complete yet for this liquid) on the order of 1.00 E+4 uCi/mL.

Any comments or ideas will be appreciated and thank you in advance for

any input.

Dave Biela,  Radiological Engineering

West Valley Nuclear Services